Thursday, December 3, 2015

Rockin' Oz

Disclosure: I am an ignorant American who listens to music but doesn't follow it.

Over the past few weeks, I have been immersed in Australian rock culture. I have learned that there is a large discrepancy between Australian and US music charts, even for AC/DC.

AC/DC 
aka singers of You shook me all night long

Who knew AC/DC was Australian? At least some of them were, sorta, at some points. But Australia claims them as their own. And they love them. Who doesn't?

"AC/DC are an Australian hard rock band, formed in November 1973 by brothers Malcolm and Angus Young, who continued as members until Malcolm's illness and departure in 2014.[1] Commonly referred to as a hard rock or blues rock[2] band, they are also considered pioneers of heavy metal and are sometimes classified as such,[3] though they have always dubbed their music as simply "rock and roll"." -Thank you Wikipedia

 

Review: They have a lot of energy for a bunch of old dudes. Seriously, I thought one of them was going to have a heart attack. They are loud. The 20 minutes guitar solo was unnecessary. They will always remind me of Saputo's basement.

Cold Chisel 
aka Chisel


"Cold Chisel are an Australian rock band that formed in Adelaide, Australia. It had chart success from the late 70s up until their most recent album releases since 2011, with nine albums making the Australian top ten. Cold Chisel are regarded as having a distinctly Australian popularity and musicianship, exemplifying "pub rock" and highlighting the working class life in Australia." 
- Thank you Wikipedia


Review: Jimmy Barnes, is also pretty amazing for an old dude. I like Chisel. They give me happy Australia memories. Khe Sahn was one of the first "Australian" songs I learned when my tour guide played it on Christmas Eve at Lucky Bay down in Esperance. I have since come to know that Khe Sahn might challenge to be the national anthem of Australia, sung at pubs and bachelorette parties. Seriously, you need to know this song.
Not too mention they had tree encores. 
One of which included an awesome rendition of Georgia on my mind.

I'll take Chisel over AC/DC any day.

3 comments:

  1. "They have a lot of energy for a bunch of old dudes" Please clarify- Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete