Thursday, January 9, 2014

Postcard Perfect

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."
— Jacques Yves Cousteau

"Knee deep in the water somewhere
Got the blue sky, breeze and it don't seem fair
The only worry in the world
Is the tide gonna reach my chair
Sunrise, there's a fire in the sky
Never been so happy
Never felt so high
And I think I might have found me my own kind of paradise"
-Zac Brown Band :)

The southwestern coast has some of the most beautiful and highly rated beaches in Australia and the world. I literally felt like I was living in a postcard. White sand so fine that it squeaks when you walk on it. Teal blue water that was crystal clear (with a crispness I only imagine comes from the Antarctic). A rugged, unpopulated coastline. And with so many beaches and few people, we had some of these beaches practically to ourselves! Even during the Christmas holiday! This is not an exhaustive list of the beaches we went to but I kept it to single digits (don't want to make you too jealous). Hellfire Bay and Thistle Cove were also flawless. I attempted to rank them. But how can you say one of these beaches was your least favorite? Nonetheless, from spectacular to most spectacular...

9. Busselton- the longest jetty in the southern hemisphere and where the Busselton Ironman is in December


8. Breakers- home of surfing competitions in Margaret River


7. Gracetown

Enough warnings?
6. Natural Bridge and Gap



5. Green's Pool



4. Elephant Rocks
 See the Elephant?


 
3. Lucky Bay-"Australia's whitest beach", even if the tide left a lot of the beach wet
 About 100 meters from our Christmas campsite



 
This is a famous postcard taken at lucky bay. Our kangaroos were a little more hungry than this one. 



2. West Beach (Esperance)
This is about 11am, December 23rd, in the heart of Esperance. Where are all the people?!

1. Twilight Bay (Esperance)


I'm ready to go back. Who's coming with me?





No comments:

Post a Comment