Friday, June 13, 2014

Let's Go to the Movies, Aussie Style

Before "winter" came to Perth, there was a plethora of outdoor movies. I have come across outdoor movies on Saturday nights in the park back home. I've been to a couple drive-ins. Our high school even set up a drive-in in the back parking lot (which was before we could drive, so thanks mom for dropping us off in the mini-van!). But during the summer, there are at least four or more "theaters" that play an outdoor movie every night of the week. Yes, not just Saturday nights. EVERY night. Rent a bean bag, bring a picnic basket, and you've got the perfect summer night. I realized that it's the perfect thing for Perth, because it doesn't rain in the summer. Like, never. They don't get rained or fogged out (remember watching Alaska, Mom and Dad? I still don't know what happened in the end). 

I waited all summer to find someone to go with. And then I was rowing, which basically destroyed my weekday night social calendar. But I couldn't let the season go by without going to the outdoor cinema. So I invited myself along with my favorite Perth-ites to the movies. 
 
And it wasn't just any outdoor cinema, it was a rooftop cinema. Set up for the season on the top of a Northbridge parking garage. One that had popcorn, snacks, artificial green turf, pink flamingoes, palm trees, plastic baskets hung up as lanterns, and a view of the illuminated skyline as the backdrop. It was awesome.
 


And what did we see? Only one of the greatest Disney movies of all time (sorry Frozen).

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
(Which after screeching hundreds of times, I just looked up means "Here comes a lion, Father" in zulu).

And watching a favorite from our childhood, we joined Timon, Pumbaa, and Simba looking up to see the sparkly dots that are the West Australian stars. Or big balls of gas. Or fireflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment