Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Friends with a Friend

 The great thing about having visitors is that you get to do things you never would.
There's a restaurant two blocks down the street that I pass at least twice a day, if not more. 
Ironically, it's called Friends.
Friends is a fancy restaurant.
Luckily I had a friend coming to visit me that happens to enjoy my love of food.
Friends also had a coupon for a fancy dinner.
A truffle dinner.
A truffle degustation.

So my friend and I put on our fancy dresses for a fancy dinner at Friends.

Truffles are quite trendy now. They also happen to grow in Western Australia (these were from Manjimup to be exact) and it's truffle season. I like chocolate truffles,  but have never had the fungus truffle. Let alone five courses infused by truffles. It started with the fancy waiter bringing out a truffle in his white gloved hand to let us sniff the truffle.
And since I didn't take a picture of the whole menu, I will have to describe them with my not so MasterChef interpretations.

First Course: White bean and field mushroom soup with black truffle. It was so creamy that the two soups stayed separate to make a yin yang in the bowl. And said white gloved man came back to shave some truffle onto out soup.

Second course: Cold chicken meatloaf with some crunchy pickled carrots. With some truffle sauce strewn across the plate.

Third Course: Slow aged beef with a wine reduction, some pureed peas, orange (maybe carrot?) something and beets, cauliflower and some delicious fancy scalloped potatoes.

Fourth Course: Creamy brie cheese (because who doesn't like cheese) with a single dried apricot a couple walnuts and some other random stuff. Negative was the brie was a truffle sandwich. But the part of the cheese that didn't have truffle tasted good.

Fifth Course: A creamy mousey thing and truffle ice cream. Yum.


And the best part about it was getting to share it with my Friend.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic!! But good enough to get said friend to return for more???
    Maybe your brother can train Watson to become a truffle sniffing hound; I assume that truffles must grow in TX too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My truffles will always be of the chocolate variety. :-)

    ReplyDelete