Wednesday, August 28, 2013

All that I can't leave behind






The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind
-U2

I’ve spent months thinking about what I’ll bring and what I’ll leave. Predicting what is worth taking for the next two years, and what I can do without or buy in Perth. I have spent weeks thinking about how I was going to pack it all. I’ve practice packed, packed, unpacked, and re-packed. It’s been very therapeutic. Turns out that all that I can’t leave behind fits into two suitcases, a hiking backpack, a backpack, and a computer bag. Or at least I will make it fit.

Shoes:

  • Two pairs of my Brooks Green Silence running shoes. One of them is a brand new pair (I’m afraid they’re discontinuing them!
  • Inov8 trail running shoes (They’re awesome! Thank you Caitlin!), to double as outback bushwalking shoes if necessary.
  • My new fancy New Balance Minimus Life black Mary Janes. Multipurpose and purposeful.
  • Puma (my comfortable Ireland shoes). As one of the benefits of working in exercise science, I also use these for work.
  • Cycling shoes (and their pedals). I may not be able to take my bike, but I took a piece of it.
  • My dancing shoes. After all, I’m going to Oz, I might as well have some “ruby” slippers
  • Flat dress sandals, because I can’t always be a giant in heels when I’m dancing.
  • Red patent leather boat shoes, after all, I’m a New England girl at heart.
  • A new pair of my everyday Rainbow Flip flops. They’re the closest I can get to walking barefoot in public.

Clothes:

  • Jeans, pink & red pants, dress pants.
  • Three multipurpose jackets. It’s all about the layers.
  • Dress shirts, tank tops, and shorts, the basics.
  • Dresses and skirts for all occasions. (I’ve been in the South long enough for them to become a staple of my wardrobe. I had to get rid of half the dresses in my closet. Thanks to Will for modeling them and making my decisions easier).
  • My neon pink running jacket.
  • One Sweatshirt and pair of sweat pants, both Maryland, go Terps!.
  • T-shirts including my one and only piece of University of South Carolina gamecocks clothing (COCKS shirt, I hope the Australians appreciate it).
  • Two layer, North Face waterproof jacket and fleece. For the wet and cool winter. I learned my lesson in Ireland.
  • My suit, which is being dry cleaned. I figure if I don’t wear it for my “job” now then I don’t need it. Ever.
  • Running shorts, shirts and tanks, only my favorites that I wear regularly.
  • Five bathing suits. I’m going to be in Australia, in it’s sunniest city, on the ocean. Enough said.
  • Hats and gloves. Mostly for running, my hands get cold easily!
  • Socks and underwear stuffed into shoes, little pockets, and any extra space I can find.

  • Running hat and visor for when it rains or is too sunny (or just to look hard core, because real runners wear hats).
  • Miscellaneous running and cycling gear.
  • Jewelry, belts, two purses and bedazzles. Because after all, the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.
  • Basic cosmetics and hygiene products for my first month. I’ll be moving around a bit when I get there and meeting lots of people. Don’t want to be the bad smelling and dirty American.
  • My favorite mugs for a taste of home. I know I don’t need to take these, but they are my comfort splurges.
  • A pillow and a few DVDs to somehow figure out how to sleep on my 16.5 hour flight.
  • Important papers and copies of files, like the email saying my work visa is approved and I can get into the country. Also including my Connecticut calendar.
  • Four “school” books to look smart (with a couple on the way from Amazon to pass the 34 hour travel time).
  • My laptop computer. You can’t be an academic without a computer.
  • Most importantly, my passport.

I’m sure over the next week I will gather more things that I forgot and stress about having to find a place to pack them. But I know whatever I forget, I can get there. After all, less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment