Wednesday, September 3, 2014

42 Kilometers of Perth

It's funny how the littlest things can stir up sweet memories and nostalgic recollections. This time it was pop tarts. Yes, those processed, sugary excuses for breakfast. Not quite as many flavors here, but you can still find them in your local grocery store. Well they also happen to be my go-to pre marathon and long run fuel.

Some of my best memories of South Carolina seem to be races. Granted those five years were the extent of my "competitive" running career. The anxious days leading up to them. Those restless nights waiting for the 5:30 am alarm (or 3:30 am for those relays!). The adrenaline and sweat during: the relief and dried sweat afterwards. Running is the best way to explore forest paths, swampy sunrise roads, flat farm fields, and new cities.

One of the first things I researched in Perth were the major running races. I moved here right after the City to Surf. Marathon, half marathon, 12km and 4km. After a year without races, it was time to get back into early morning runs and weekend long runs. Time to find new routes, new pavement, and new ways to get lost. And figure out paces in kilometers. I've ran 26.2, but I was ready to go the same distance: 42 km this time.

But sometimes life gives you detours. And Perth is full of detours.

Due to factors beyond my control, I had to stop training and couldn't run it. But while I didn't get to run, I did get to follow along on my bicycle to cheer all the 50,000 runners and walkers along for my first road race down under. The City to Surf is in cities across Australia, and Perth has a marathon, half marathon, 12 kilometer run (that's the distance from the city to the ocean), and a 4km run. Plus a 12km and 4km walk.

Turns out a race down under is the same as a race stateside, just in kilometers instead of miles.

Everyone still dons a race bib complete with timing chip.

 There's still the huge crowd at the starting line.

There were still hills and pavement to traverse.

There were crazy runners in costumes and supporting causes, including a firefighter in full suit and tank.

Can you spot Waldo x 3 (or Wally as they say over here)?

 Even though it seemed like most of the city was running the race instead of cheering on the sidelines,  roller girls and bagpipers came out to keep the tired runners going.


 I can't lie that my heart wasn't aching to run it. But there's always 2015...






No comments:

Post a Comment