Monday, February 16, 2015

Nothing Little About It

I have been living in the shadows of this picture since Australia day.
Something about giant puppets roaming the city kinda disturbed me. Not to mention it looks like she has headgear. But if you were anywhere within 500 km of Perth this weekend, you couldn't avoid hearing about it. The city was a buzz with The Giants.

No one really knew what was going to happen. There were lots of warnings weeks in advance about road closures in the CBD for the three day event. I got a brochure in my mailbox showing the routes of the giants. I read the "story" and still wasn't sure what would happen. I had quite low expectations and no plans to purposely go see it.

But when I found out the Little Girl Giant was sleeping in Langley Park, I had to go outside and see.
Then we went to go see her napping in Wellington Square...
And then on the way home from picking up some groceries, I ran into the parade and I was mesmerized. I don't know if it was the music, or the skill behind her puppeteers, or the sheer crowds in her shadow. Or just a little awe and magic in Perth.

 

Watch this!
The story was about a Little Girl (6m) who was looking for a Diver (11m) and they finally met on the third day for a ANZAC tribute

 She even had a morning shower


I couldn't really avoid the spectacle as her boat sailed by my balcony, she paraded down the street past the flowers outside my window, danced in the sky, and she slept outside my window with her breathing to be heard throughout the night.
  


The crowds continued to grow over the three days. And it seemed like we had only began to meet these new friends, before they were sailing off down the Swan River.
And I couldn't help but feel like I said goodbye to a new, little, friend.
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Now that's cool!. Any chance of catching her in another Australian city in April?

    ReplyDelete