Tuesday, May 19, 2015

City of Churches (or at least one of 'em)

A view of Adelaide from Mt Lofty

Just like I had never heard of Perth before I was considering moving here, I'm not so sure I had heard of Adelaide. The only way I knew about South Australia was the Gaelic Storm version of the sea shanty song that the swashbucklers would sing heaving in the anchor on the schooner next to our steamboat.

Adelaide is the fifth largest cities in Australia, capital of South Australia, and unlike many of the other cities, it was founded as a free city for religious freedom and not by convicts. Thus it became the "City of Churches". Ironically, today it is the least religious city in Australia.

From the original Holy Trinity to St. Peter's cathedral, the city's skyline is speckled by steeples.

Ironically, there a bunch of "City of Churches" in the world, including Christchurch, New Zealand. Luckily, there is more to Adelaide than churches.

They've got some cool rocks.
Recommended by Professor Leon

South Australia is home to Coober Pedy, the self-proclaimed Opal Capital of the World. Did you know Australia produces 90% of the worlds opal? I think it'd be cool to go to Coober Pedy, a real rough and tough outback adventure (I may have just read a novel about two young Perth boys' adventures in the opal mines) and maybe find me a black opal to bring home as a souvenir.

But while I wait for my black opal, there's always chocolate. And  on the east coast, Haigh's chocolates, where they still hand make and wrap their chocolates, seems to be the thing.
A Hot Cross Bun truffle!

It was only short, rainy trip and there were many parks to see and trams to ride, but it was on to the city of legends, where rumor has it the coffee is better, the bars are better, the footy is better (or at least more plentiful), and is the "best" city in Australia...

No comments:

Post a Comment