Saturday, May 9, 2015

A day in the theatre

Did you think I disappeared into the outback? Before I tell you about my April adventures, I'll catch you up on my most recent adventure in the Australia hospital system.

No need to worry, nothing serious. But some of you may know that I've somehow turned into a leisure long distance runner. Some of you may also know that I haven't been able to run since last June because I've had problems with my knee. This is the same knee that I tore my ACL at high school soccer practice and had reconstructed. After consulting with my bio-statistician/physio and taking advantage of working in a School of Physiotherapy and doing months of non-running one legged hops and squats, I figured it was time to be a little more proactive. I don't think anyone was excited to hear I had a meniscus tear (with some other issues that were actually causing the problem) and it would just need arthroscopic surgery. Sign me up!

Australia has universal Medicare, except if your not a permanent resident, aka me! So when I signed up to come over here, I had to get my own insurance coverage. And this was the first time I had to figure it out for something semi-major. One good thing about that process was I learned what "theatre fees" were and that I was covered for them.

Compared to ACL reconstruction, meniscus surgery is a breeze. No crutches, hobble around for a few days, and be back cycling an 10 days, running in 6 weeks. Being the scientific inquisitive mind I am, I figured this would be a great opportunity to compare my two knee surgery experiences remembering they were different procedures: US 2002 and Australia 2015.

US 2002
Drive up to Hartford bright and early on the snowy Thanksgiving eve with my faithful parents/home-nurses/patient caretakers.

Australia 2015
Get myself to the hospital (granted I did have several offers to drive me there, but I'm an independent woman!) before sun-up on a beautiful autumn day and wait a few minutes to see the sun come up over the river. It is hard to be independent and have surgery as they make you have someone pick you up (I could have taken a taxi!) and stay with you over night. Good think I had a willing nurse :)

US 2002
Waiting with the other pre-op patients, the only one I remember was the dude handcuffed to his bed with a police officer watching over him. Mind you I was with the surgeon who does UConn's basketball players and at a very reputable hospital.

Australia 2015
I get to hear everyone else's pre-admissions quiz. Several people in for wisdom teeth, a few knees, a hernia, and my favorite, the dude with a fractured jaw/cheek who got punched on Saturday.

US 2002
Needle and hook me almost as soon as I get into bed. I remember having to shake the doctor's hand with a needle in my arm, which a needle-phobic teenage girl was not too excited about. When they finally started wheeling me towards the operating room, it was time to countdown 10-9-8... I was out before I was halfway down the hallway.

Australia 2015
I get asked the same questions by and lots of nurses, assistants, orderlies, and doctors in three different rooms, pre-admissions, pre-op, and this time I get wheeled into the "theatre" conscious and climb onto the operating table myself. After a very adept anesthetist sticks my "vein-less" left arm, all I get is a you'll start to feel a little strange...Yes it does feel strange, and I'm out.

US 2002
Waking up in recovery- Nurse, "Would you like saltines or graham crackers? Cranberry juice or ginger ale?" Me, "Where am I? I just want to sleeeeeeeep" And before I know it, they're wheeling me out to the chilly minivan where I sleep the whole way home.

Australia 2015
Waking up in recovery - Nurse, "How are you feeling?" 30 minutes of oxygen later, I get wheeled down to my "room with a view" where I get 2 hours, water, coffee or tea and a biscuit, juice, and sandwiches. While my blood pressure is monitored, the nurse explains my post-op, gets my prescriptions, and tells me about her weekend plans to go bush outside of Moora and how there's an attachment you can get for your mobile to turn it into a satellite phone.

US 2002
Get Percocet and Vicodin (I think maybe my parents had to pick it up at the pharmacy...? but I'm not the most reliable source on that one). Have slightly a traumatizing family issue when the medicine makes me unable to keep any food down for a week before we realize it's the drugs making me miserable, but I have to take my meds with food. I appreciate you looking out for me, Dad.

Australia 2015
Warn the docs I don't do strong meds well so they send me home with three large boxes of super big Panadol (which is paracetamol), Tramadol, and Naproxen. I had to look them up and translate into Tylenol (acetaminophen), Aleve, and some opiod-based drug. What happened to Advil (which is called Nurofen here)? And why can't every just use the same names?


US 2002
Missed Thanksgiving and spent a week on the couch before figuring out the med situation. Can't say I remember too much of that except my Mom and Dad being Saints and some nice cards and visits from friends.

Australia 2015
A three day "holiday" in my apartment, which if you know me, isn't that great of a thing being held hostage and looking out at blue sunny skies and runners in the park. But hey, I'm already a pro at icing and elevating and get to catch up on my blogs. Plus they give you arthroscopic pictures and a DVD of your operation which I will not be watching because I close my eyes watching Grey's Anatomy. But maybe some day I'll get a bowl of popcorn and really see what goes on in an Australia theatre. Anyone want to join me? I've got a little spare time on my hands...
I got to put an X marks the spot for both surgeries. Apparently fear of cutting open the wrong leg is a worldwide fear.

PS. Today they started Australia's first ultraman triathalon. 10 km swim, 420 km cycle, 84 km run. A double ironman in three days... I think I'll just start with a 5k :)

PPS. I'm doing well and being a good patient, resting, icing and elevating and watching lots of footy.

No comments:

Post a Comment