Saturday, November 9, 2013

Don't Forget the Sunscreen

Despite living 3 blocks from Scarborough Beach for 5 weeks, I had yet to have a proper beach day. Gale force winds, sideways rain, and chilly temps of an unusually cold and wet spring don't call me to put on my bathing suit, grab a towel and head to the beach. But I figured it was about time I took full advantage of Perth's ocean coast.
Looks like a typical November forecast to me.

A 30 minute train ride and I was at Cottesloe station. It was like following the yellow brick road, as a bunch of scarecrows and tinmen processed through a neighborhood to the beach. (which is slightly ironic because one review I read was that it was hard to find the beach from the station. Clearly someone did not speak one of these multiple languages.)

These pretty tiles marked the way.
 
If you look really closely, you can see the hotel at Scarborough. It's the little blob at the end of the beach you can see.

I took my first full plunge into the Indian Ocean. I won't say it was warm, but that didn't stop everyone from frolicking in the sea. And the water was crystal clear, creating lagoons between the patches of rock and seaweed.



One difference from all the American beaches, is how vigilant EVERYONE is with sun protection. The rays are brutal here in the land of missing ozone. I've been burnt sitting out at lunch. Even the teenage boys next to me re-applied sunscreen and one had an almost old lady looking sun hat that no one teased him about. There were several large pump bottles scattered on the beach. And all the children have these adorable sunhats. I was good and had my hat and pre-applied Ultra sunscreen, but on par with my sunscreen applying skills, I missed a couple spots.

There were normal beach activities including reading, sunbathing, "friz", and tossing around a (Australian rules) football. Many beach goers picked a grassy perch, which I've heard could be because of the sandblasting wind that comes up later in the afternoon. But for my visit, the sand was stayed on the ground.
There was a path to walk along and out on the jetty. On the other side of the jetty was a beautiful rock formation and lagoon looking south towards Fremantle.

I think I may be going back to the beach very soon. 

And I didn't even see a shark...

No comments:

Post a Comment