Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Trifecta: Fashion, Betting, Wine

It's no secret, Australians like to gamble. And they like to bet on horses. After my experience watching the Melbourne Cup, it was time to witness the horse races in person. Off to the races at Ascot Racecourse!

Thanks to some early morning dedication by two of my favorite Australians, we had a shaded table meters from the finish line.

The races are less about the horses and more about the fashion, the betting and the alcohol. I couldn't make myself wear a fascinator quite yet, but I got a floppy hat (I needed one to protect myself at the beach anyways) and put on my dress and plenty of sunscreen. I could have just watched people all day. There were bright neon dresses, black dresses, long dresses, and way too short and tight dresses. Fashion, check!

 And the best looking ladies there of course (with some ridiculous American in a floppy hat)
 
 
 "What is she wearing?! Did that girl change her shoes again? Neon pink lipstick? How does that fascinator stay on her head? Not so sure about those flower crowns..."

I could never have figured out the betting on my own, not ever going to a track before. Luckily, the wonderful ladies I was with put together a girls' kitty, so for $10 each, I could watch in amazement as they picked the horses and ticked the boxes for each race. We won a couple races, but only made a few coins overall. Betting, check!

All the stories I have heard of the races usually end with someone very drunk and laying on the ground. I'm not one to day drink, but I had to take part in the experience in a most responsible manner (not the laying on the ground part). Being all dressed up and fancy, the only choice for us classy ladies was bottles of SSB (semillon sauvignon blanc) to sip on throughout the afternoon. When it was my turn to buy the next bottle, they had stopped serving bottles. It was 3:00. I could only get 2 glasses, but needed 5, so three of us went up to buy 5 glasses of wine. I was buying, but the quite unfriendly bartender made us pay separately. So I went first, got my change and passed it down the line. Hannah couldn't order until I took my two glasses in my hands. Seriously?! What are these rules? Bars also have very strange alcohol rules, lockouts, and times they stop serving, but that's a whole other story... Alcohol, check!

But there were horses at the races, so I have to include one obligatory picture of a horse.

Disclaimer (mom): I did not end up laying on the ground. I was very responsible with my iced wine, and after the races hopped on the bus back to the city, and was up at 6 for a beautiful run through Kings Park. And I didn't even get sunburned.

No comments:

Post a Comment