Sunday, November 17, 2013

Kangaroo Hunt

I have been in Australia for over two months and have not seen a kangaroo. Kangaroos are the epitome of this country. They are on airplanes and the soccer team is named the Socceroos. The closest I have come are walking by these just a few blocks down.



Every time I walk by them, they remind me that I still haven't seen a kangaroo. What kind of Australia is this?! Yes, I realize that there will not be kangaroos roaming around the CBD in Perth. That's like seeing deer in New York City. But I've been to the suburbs. Where are the kangaroos?!

I told Leon I was going to ride my bicycle until I found one, and he told me I just needed to ride North up the path along the freeway to Pinnaroo Memorial Park. It's not a park, it's a cemetery. So today I went on my adventure to the cemetery to find kangaroos.

I had been along the freeway path before for a few kilometers, trying to find a more direct route from Scarborough to Curtin. It's great that there's a bicycle freeway :). Unfortunately it's not one of the most scenic routes, sandwiched between the freeway and a fence for some of the way as it meanders through industrial backyards, small neighborhoods, and six minutes worth of parkland.

The worst part about long bike rides for me, has always been boredom. Riding along the freeway, I got bored and thought maybe I should save the kangaroos for another day. Or maybe I could just take the train there. Either way, the thought of riding the 30+kms back to the city on this same route was somewhat unmotivating. But I kept pedalling, and soon found myself at my turnoff at Whitford Station. Usually when I try to cycle places, I get lost, but to my relief, there it was, Pinnaroo Memorial Park!



There were no signs directing me to where I could find kangaroos. There were however signs for funerals, burial services, and the chapel. It seemed a little strange, riding my bicycle through a cemetary. At it was a garden, with sites marked by fake flowers and not tomb stones. I pedaled along, keeping an eye out for anything hopping along, and not really sure what I would do if I came face to face with a kangaroo (especially a mean boxing, clawing one). But I didn't see any. Drivers are warned about kangaroos at dawn and dusk, and by this point it was late morning so I figured they were all sleeping, or hiding, or doing whatever kangaroos do in the middle of the day. Who goes to a cemetery to see kangaroos anyways? (turns out my friend's adviser also took her to this cemetery when she first got here to see a kangaroo!) I gave up.

 I was just finding a road to turn around, when I saw a light brown color through the bush! Six or seven were just sitting in the shade, lounging. They were just like in the Riverbanks Zoo, except not behind fences. Still feeling a little strange with families around visiting gravesites, I sat on a bench for a few quiet moments, watched these Aussie roos, and hopped back on the bike to ride home.


And just to give you the context, they were right in the middle of the cemetery in a section without flowers.


Mission accomplished. I now know I am in Australia (just in case there was any doubt). Hopefully next time I see a kangaroo, it will be easier to find.

And I didn't ride back a long the freeway. I made my way to the ocean. It was a little longer, but the view of the teal and blue Indian Ocean beats cars on a freeway any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment