Monday, December 16, 2013

An American in...Perth

“And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares, that infest the day,
Shall fold their tents like the Arabs,
and silently steal away.”
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 
Being alone in big city (especially without a car), one has a lot of time to herself to think. Whether it's on long bike rides to the hills, walks through Kings Park, endless bus rides, or taking the ferry on the way to work. Many of my best ideas (and worst ideas) have been formed while mindlessly and silently pedalling round and round. There are times when no matter how hard I try, my mind wanders back to some consuming thought: something nerve-wracking, regrettable, exciting, or heartbreaking, But when I just want to stop thinking and fill the silence I listen to music. 
 
Growing up in Southeastern New England, I've spent my share of summer nights sitting on a blanket under the stars, listening to the music of bands, orchestras, and symphonies (and some not so classical music too). Thank you Mom and Dad for dragging us all along, packing the Better Val-u grinders, bug spray and sweatshirts for those chilly nights. This weekend, I experienced my first heat wave in Perth with temperatures hitting 100. However, as the night cooled down, and I felt a familiar chill on my sun-kissed skin after a day at the beach. It was the West Australian Symphony Orchestra's Symphony in the City. A free event, that just happened to be in the park below my apartment building.
 
View of the orchestra shell and crowd from the terrace.
 
In a brilliant concert publicity playlist, the orchestra showcased selections from it's upcoming season. Curious to see my first international orchestra performance, I didn't feel as if I was thousand miles from home, but I could have been on the lawn at Harkness. They included John William's Star Wars, Wagner & Verdi, excerpts from the Lord of the Rings and other classics that made me feel home when so far away. One of their concert's is going to feature selections of American Jazz music, and I smiled when Mr. Eddie Perfect (celebrity host), announced the next song was Gershwin's American in Paris. As soon as the quirky melody started, I was taken back to the band room of Ledyard High School and was forced to ponder how far I've come since then, becoming an American in Perth.  I must admit, WASO played it a bit better than us Colonels...
 
As the sun set over the Swan River, the beautiful lights of the city twinkled in the backdrop. The symphony really is fantastic, and I hope I have another opportunity to hear them play. 




 
 
Any summer concert wouldn't be complete without Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.  My first international concert experience did not disappoint, and WASO's version was complete with marvellous fireworks, though as was tradition in the Coast Guard concerts of my youth, it was not the final selection of the night. Instead, they played some song I had never heard, that sounded a bit like pomp and circumstance. Apparently it has something to do with the big WACA cricket match going on now, but when they played it again for the encore, I began my "long" walk home.
 
The grand finale!
If you can't make it through the whole 2 minutes, the last minute is where the action is.
 
After an all too wearying week, for two hours, the symphony was just the ticket I needed. And no ticket necessary.
 
(And yes, it did even make me miss playing in an orchestra, unfortunately my oboe didn't make it into my three suitcases).

2 comments:

  1. We are really enjoying reading your blog Erin. Wouldn't miss a one!

    ReplyDelete