Saturday, December 21, 2013

Who Needs a White Christmas?

(I wish I had our UMD video to share!)

I've been collecting bits of Perth's Christmas cheer. Since I won't be seeing the Christmas tree at Beachy's Christmas Eve party, crossing the street to the glow of luminaries on the way to the Bryan's, or searching for the pink gingerbread house on our tree, I'm sharing some of the things surrounding me in Perth this Christmas season.
 It's hard to see but this tree has lights and a star!







Obviously, it's summer in Perth. Growing up in New England, it doesn't feel right to me. I wondered if people who grow up in the Southern Hemisphere believe Christmas should be hot and sunny. Someone I was talking to had been in Europe for one Christmas, with frosted window panes and snow and, "It just felt right, the way Christmas should be." SO marketing has done well, and everyone believes Christmas should be cold and snowy, even if they have never experienced it.


 Even Santa has shed his velvet suit!

The Christmas Pageant lit up the night with floats, stilt-walkers, belly dancers (got the loudest cheer), and bagpipers with their pipes aglow (my favorite). I must admit, I stole these pictures from Perth Daily Photo because I didn't think it was appropriate to fight all the children from prime viewing.


And this picture isn't the pageant, but I like it and I think it's a beautiful shot of a summer Christmas.

There are only a few more sleeps before Christmas. May you cherish the time with your family and friends and take in the sparkles of Christmas wherever you may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment