Tuesday, December 10, 2013

So Far from Home

This may not be the most exciting blog post, but it's an honest one (not that the others are lies!).

Moving to the opposite side of the world, without any family or friends with me, homesickness is inevitable. It may hit during those first weeks being alone, wondering "Why did I move here?" as you try to figure out how to meet people. It could be the first holiday away, a Thanksgiving without a personlized, VIP golfcart tour of your Uncle's property. It's pretty inevitable when you hear the Salvation Army band's brassy Christmas carols and see happy shoppers rushing around (in the 90 degree sunshine) buying awesome pear-shaped terrariums or fancy iced tea makers for their loved ones. It can be something little like the cool morning stillness just after the sun comes up (before 5:00 am here) that reminds you of childhood campgrounds. Or something really big, whether heartwarming or heartbreaking that makes you wish that you were home. Or it could be something completely different. Something you never expected. Something that was your worst fear, or even beyond your worst fears you never imagined it.

Being in Perth and so far from home, does mean that I can't give my sister a ginormous hug that lasts forever. Or make my parents a pot of coffee and Grandma Droz's coffee cake and lounge on the couch all morning, feet snuggling, fighting over who gets the afghan that has been around as long as I can remember. I can't hold my niece's hand as she toddles around chasing bubbles in the snow or un-decorates the Christmas tree. I can't interpretative dance to Christmas music on 106.5 WBMB with my brother, and make my sister think we're both crazy (we may just be). But it doesn't mean I have to feel alone.
You can even see the beige afghan in the background!

 So proud of my "little" brother :)

Distance in the 21st century is strange. Sometimes it feels as if my family and dear friends are just around the corner, while other times, it feels as if they're half way around the world and in another time (which they are). But in a way, distance makes us make time to talk. When smiles, hugs, and 'seven touches' a day aren't an option, we have to use our words. Luckily, words can come in so many forms. And yes, there are probably lots of other ways too, but when it comes to me and technology, simpler is better.

Email: I can think, edit, and re-write to make sure I'm saying what I mean and meaning what I say. I can send it any time of the day and not worry about waking someone up or inconveniencing them. They can read it at their leisure. Or they can read it instantly on their smartphones. I can send links, pictures, videos, oh my! And after a day of sending emails with no reply (because it's the middle of the night back home), I wake up in the morning to have the little letter image on my phone tell me I have 17 emails (4 of which are ones I actually want to read).
Best. Email. Ever.

Post mail: Not so instant. It takes about 2 weeks to travel 10,000 miles apparently. And $AU 2.60. So I apologize to those lucky few who had made it onto my regular homemade card list. Mailings won't be so regular anymore.

Text: I recently realized I can send SMS to some people through my awesome prepaid plan. Some people I can't. It probably costs a million dollars anyways.

Windows Messenger: For the cool people with windows phones (aka my brother and sister), we can send texts through Windows Live. Yup you're jealous.

Facebook: I can follow people's lives, and don't ever have to say (or type) a word. Yes it's creepy, but it sure does keep me in the loop and feel connected.  Plus I can post some really cool blog posts there and know that at least one person pretends to care.


Skype: I never quite understood why you need to see someone when you're talking to them. Where do you look? Do you stare right at them? If you're multitasking and doing something else on the computer, can they tell? But I do admit that seeing my niece attempt to make the fish face her daddy taught her as she just sits with her face right near the camera is pretty priceless.

Phone: This classic is still default when you need a quick response, or the comfort of a familiar voice.  I can no longer have my Sunday night strolls around Shandon as I talk to my mom, dad, and sister (unless they decide to get up at 5am on Sunday morning). I do have to dial a few extra digits, but I can call them on Sunday morning. And who knew my prepaid plan was so internationally friendly?
 
Clearly, sometimes playing phone tag is necessary, but it eventually works.

Pick your poison. You can't get rid of me that easy.

1 comment: