Monday, March 17, 2014

Erin Go Bragh

According to Wikipedia, there are 479,174 Australians in Perth and 115,384 Irish (not to mention the English winning it all with 534,555). Even if it isn't celebrated quite as big as in the US or in Ireland, I knew that if I looked hard enough, I'd be able to find a little luck o' the Irish.
 
Yes, not only did Kelly sort the Skittles for her pot of gold, but she made green ice!
 
It's no secret, that I am impartial to the wearing of the green. March 17th conjures up memories of step dancing in nursing homes, churches, schools and pubs. I can't smell corned beef and cabbage without thinking of curlers and the church dinners at St Patricks in Mystic, Norwich and New London. Gone are the days of the Dukes Reel, High Cauled Cap, and the Blackbird in my black leotard or white, green and orange pleated dress, but I still always do my best to recognize the rellies back in Wicklow. 
 
When St. Patrick's Day falls on a weekday, the only solution is to extend the holiday to the nearest weekend. Green shamrocks covered Kathryn's house in Scarborough for a St. Patty's day bbq.

We had appropriately themed competitions. First was an Ireland themed quiz, put on by our Irish host. I may or may not have won that one. To be fair, I did take a class in Irish folklore, history and music when I studied in Limerick. I was surprised at how it all came back to me. The second competition was Baby Guinness pouring. A baby Guinness is Kahlua and Baileys in a shot glass, poured in layers so that it looks just like a, you guessed it, miniature Guinness. We divided into teams for an international tournament: Australians, Europeans, Americans. It was a tough competition, with lots of impressive trash talking. Ashley represented us well in the Grand Final, but alas, the Aussies took it all. Oh well, after all they have to start redeeming themselves from the less than spectacular Olympic performance.We can let em win one :)


 Perfection.
Everyone was jealous of my "stubby holder". Thanks Meggy!!!

But even if we celebrated during the weekend, we couldn't let the 17th go by without a raise of the glass and a couple shamrocks. I showed up to the primary school we're doing a research project at in my shamrock knee socks and green nail polish to be surrounded by a see of 6 year olds dressed in green (The teachers had begged me to wear green for the occasion. Little did they know they didn't need to ask me twice). Green hair, green glitter eye shadow, and green tights. Well done Year 2! I continued to wear my festive socks in the office, where I received a few more giggles and much fewer people were dressed for the holiday (I think Kyla and Kagan were the only ones in green!)

But wherever you are, whether it be a pub in Dublin, a street in Five Points, or a tavern in Perth, the Guinness is smooth (yes Dad, I listened to you and had one or two) and the bad played Christy Moore.
 
And the leprechauns even found me in Australia. Even if their magical milk was in my Weetbix instead of Frosted Mini Wheats.





Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment