Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sculpture by the Sea

 
This blog entry is more show than tell. Sculpture by the Sea is an annual event that started in Sydney in 1997 and came to Cottesloe beach starting in 2005 as a way to make sculpture more accessible to the public. I stopped by on my Saturday morning bike ride for the cultural experience. Here is a taste of some of the 74 sculptures.
 


 



The one on the left, entitled Like a Flower Swaying in the Wind, took the $50,000 sculpture prize.

This giant goon bag was the talk of the town. (A goon bag is the bag that comes in a cheap boz\x of wine). If you like it ,you can purchase it for $20,000.
This was the most disturbing to me, a wave of barbie dolls. Creepy.

My favorites were probably some of the least modern.
When I have a house some day, maybe I'll put a cycling skeleton on my front lawn...

1 comment:

  1. As I've retired and tried to expand my interests from the sciences to the arts, I think that some of us just aren't wired to appreciate the "finer" things in life. Sometimes I "just don't get it!" Or more precisely, I just don't understand why someone would pay such large sums of money to own some of these pieces; wouldn't you rather have and enjoy the artistic design in a new (or even an old) Corvette or Porsche?

    ReplyDelete