Friday, March 14, 2014

Gone Country

When I first looked at a Google Earth map of Perth, I noticed something odd. Go a few miles east of the city, and the city just stops. There appears to be a north to south line where civilization just decides to stop.
When I moved here, I realized what this mysterious line was, the Perth Hills. Technically, the hills are part of the Darling Scarp (whatever a scarp is), opposing the ocean on Perth's western side. Cyclists gong riding in the hills. Leon goes riding in the hills. I have gone riding to the hills (after getting lost of course) and have not yet ridden up into the hills, but one day soon. But when I see the sun rise over the hills form the city in the morning, and see the few lights twinkling as daylight fades, the hills hold a bit of serene mystery. On a beautiful "autumn" (aka still summer) day, I had the chance to spend a day gone country in the hills.

Perth doesn't get rain in the summer, I found where the water is kept: Mundaring Weir. Lake C.Y. O'Connor is named after the engineer who conceived of the Golden Pipeline project to get water from here to the Kalgoorlie gold mines.
 The most "touristy" part of this area is the Mundaring Weir hotel.
 
They hold concerts, and the place can get packed. On a beautiful, sunny Saturday, it was serene place to sit and have a beer in the sunshine. I may need to come back on a Sunday for the lamb spit.

Now my adventure into the hills was not just to see the sights. The reason for my venture was to experience country music, Australian style. I lived in South Carolina for five years and hearing country music and country bands every weekend became the norm. As you probably can guess, country music does not fit in with the doof doof scene of Perth. And as you can imagine I am still in search of my Tin Roof and Saloon equivalents.

I used to think that Keith Urban was an Australian who wanted to be an American country singer. Turns out Australia does have it's own country music! Troy Cassar-Daley and Adam Harvey are legit country stars. And they are on tour promoting their duo album, The Great Country Songbook. It's covers of some of the greatest classic country songs of Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers, and Slim Dusty( the father of Australian country music).
 
Australia has it's own country music awards. The Great Country Songbook was nominated for one of them. But after criticism for not being Australian enough (after all, it is a bunch of covers of old American songs), they withdrew from the running. How's that for morals?

The concert was at a ranch hotel, El Caballo (pronounced by locals like el cabello not the proper double l spanish pronunciation). The dirt parking lot was full of utes and campers, and the average age was probably 60+.


Can you spot the wheelchair? There were a couple walkers too ;)

The opening act was Chelsea Basham, a "local" girl who won a Golden Guitar for her hit, "I make my own sunshine". She is a blonde, country pop princess who likes to yodel in her songs, but she sang a Sugarland song, so she knows what's up.

Then the boys took the stage and rocked it in their black suits like country superstars. Their fun loving Aussie humour colored their commentary and made for great entertainment. I felt right at home with Hey Good Lookin, Thank God I'm a Country Boy and Walk the Line. I must say Adam Harvey does a real good Johnny Cash.
Before I knew it, it was time to head back to the lights of the city. Slim Dusty's Lights on the Hill was still playing in my head as the headlights of the passing cars lit up the smile of a country girl at heart.

The windscreen wipers are a-beatin' in time
The song they sing is a part of my mind
And I can't believe it's a-really happenin' to me

...the lights comin' over the hill are a-blindin' me




1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun, but did you hitch a ride there on the senior bus?? So is your next blog going to be on the Irish heritage and music in Australia, just in time for St. Patty's day? And remember, you're to have Guinness or two to celebrate! Just watch out for the Leprechauns and the green milk.

    ReplyDelete