Sunday, May 25, 2014

In a Sunburned Country

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me! 

This poem by Dorothea Mackellar is the opening to Bill Bryson's book about his travels through Australia (the poetic introduction is strangely taken out of the Aussie edition, Down Under). As I looked out across the infinite landscape as we headed north towards Broome, I couldn't help but think how accurately it captures the Australian countryside.

This is the introduction to my 10 day adventure to Broome...

The Pinnacles

 Lancelin Sand Dunes
The Pilbarra
Karijini


As the bookends to each sunburned day, the sun rose and set over Western Australia's remarkable silhouette




Sorry these are a bit blurry, but we were on the bus. But it was the most fantastical sunset I've seen. Maybe ever.



2 comments:

  1. These are all very nice pictures, have you become an amateur photographer as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's nicer, sunrise over the Atlantic(or at least Long Island sound), or sunset on the Indian Ocean? From your pics, I'm betting on the latter.

    ReplyDelete