Tuesday, May 20, 2014

#ThereforPav

I arrived in Australia just in time for the AFL (that's Australian Rules Football for those that don't remember) Grand Final. If you'll also, remember, the Fremantle Dockers were in the Grand Final for the first time. They ended up choking and losing pretty badly. The Dockers are one of two Perth teams, with the West Coast Eagles being the other. My first introduction to AFL was through an Eagles fan, but I have run into several Docker fan friends since who have tried to convert me. My most recent 30 minute persuasion attempt resulted in, "You don't pick the team, the team picks you." Until I'm "picked", I will do my best to stay neutral.

One thing I find interesting about the rivalry, is they both have the same home stadium. When they play each other in the Derby twice a year, one time it's a home game for the Eagles (so those members get to go) and the next time it's for the Dockers. The Dockers won the first Derby a few weeks ago (sorry Kyla!) on the Eagles "home field".
If you look close enough, one side is the Eagles and the other is the Dockers.

I got to go to my first footy game this weekend and we were clearly there for one team. 
Purple, purple everywhere, as far as the eye can see.


And on this particular game, we were there for one man in particular, "Pav".

 Who's Pav?

The Dockers' captain and favorite player, Matthew Pavlich. "Pav" played in his 300th game this weekend (and scored his 600th goal). In AFL terms, that's a BIG deal.
That's him, #29. He has HUGE (and very nice) legs.

Aside from the Pav phenomena, that game was awesome. Instead of the national anthem, they opened with an Aboriginal Welcome to Country, complete with didgeridoo.
AFL is a great sport. The players are fit, strong and skilled. And it's full of excitement once you figure out the rules. Plus, this was a big game for the Dockers against the Geelong cats, and they won!


And best of all, there are no cheerleaders or fancy half time shows. During half time, the little OZKickers get to come out on the field and play their own match. Nowhere but in Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment