Thursday, July 10, 2014

Rockin' the Suburbs

Cities don't do it for me. Interesting things are found beyond the city block grids. So even though I only have two days of sightseeing in Sydney, I hopped on the double decker train to see what I could see. 

Despite the rainy weather, I couldn't miss out on Sydney's iconic Bondi Beach. If you ever find yourself in Sydney, don't be fooled. Bondi Junction train stop does not equal Bondi Beach. There's some walking involved, but someone once told me walking was good for you...


There's a TV program here called Bondi Rescue that shows the perils of the populated beach that's known for rips and freak waves. Seems pretty quiet to me!

One of greater Sydney's top tourist attractions is the cliff walk. This 3 km path winds along remarkable limestone coastal cliffs.




Not to mention that it goes past the sweetest swimming pool I have EVER seen! That may actually make swimming laps enjoyable...

Sydney is also known for its ferry system. So I hopped on one of the ferries to the iconic beach suburb of Manly and just walked. I started at the beach, where the surfers speckled the water. 



I then joined all the young moms with their stollers and followed the boardwalk to the rock pools. 

I then ditched the strollers to the cliffs where I found the quintessential Australian nomad back form a morning surf. 


I then wandered to the old North Fort from World War II and Royal Australian Artillery National Museum to Northhead for spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and Sydney harbour.


 On the way back to town, I wandered into the old Quarantine station cemetery where victims of the bubonic plaque and the nurses watching over them watch over the city.

Then on some tired legs, it was back to the port for some well deserved ice cream and a ferry ride back to the city.


Sydney is a clean and beautiful international city that has carved an irrevocable place on the world stage. But in my small opinion, the magic and beauty of Australia lies beyond the bitumen in the red dirt bush where there are no Starbucks (or any other wanky coffee shop) in sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment