Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Ute Me

A ute – an abbreviation for "utility" or "coupé utility" – is a term used originally in Australia and New Zealand to describe passenger vehicles with a cargo tray in the rear.

What would we do without wikipedia? To me, ute=truck. I've had a few arguments on what constitutes a ute. Is it the bed? Is it 4-wheel drive? Most of the ute's here are big four wheel drive things that you can just instantly picture driving out in the outback. They just scream "RUGGED MAN." 

Luck for me, the Mullewa rodeo also had a ute muster. This is where all the country ute owners "pimp" out their vehicles for the Aussie country version of a car show (a bit different from the Monday nights at Ocean beach with the Beachys!).

I don't really understand the confederate flag...but for some reason it seems to fit.
This is a proper truck.

This dude's not Australian at all...
 
But in Australia, instead of having F150's roaming the streets, there are these little "baby trucks" as I call them. And I giggle every time I see one. They are cars with beds. And they come in every color. And did I mention they make me giggle?


100% outback club red dirt.

Aussie country legend, Lee Kernaghan had a song called, Ute Me. The ute is an irreplaceable part of Aussie country. And maybe if I'm lucky some day I'll get to go for a ride in a "baby ute".



Scatter the roos, hit the washout sideways
Knock another guide post flyin'
Fish tail hold tight, full lock power slide
Drop her down one put the boot in yeah

Ute me, Ute me
I like it out back down a red dirt road
Ute me, Ute me

No comments:

Post a Comment