Monday, July 14, 2014

Small Town Saturday Night

 
I love the city of Perth. I smile every day I cycle home and see the blues and greens of the skyline across the river set in front of the warm orange and red sunset. The bustle of weekend shoppers in the CBD, the gypsy circus right now in Langley Park, the smattering of kebabs, curries and sashimi, and the live music (and even a little bit of duff duff) in Northbridge.  But what's even better about Perth is it's city energy is only 12 km from unspoilt Western Australian beaches, and over the hill to the country wheat belt.

This weekend had me on an adventure to Toodyay. This town is pronounced Two-jay. Yeah, don't ask me. But we headed off into the hills on Toodyay Road, through Gidgegannup, until we ran into this quintessential Australian town on the Avon River.


The town was bustling on a weekend morning, with the option for kangaroo sausage tasting.
But I had to try WA's best meat pies.

 I had the Currie pie. Yum! Close to the best, but I'm not willing to concede my judging finished quite yet.

We met one "youthful" woman who lived on a farm with no neighbors in Toodyay. How'd she end up there? Her and her husband put a compass on Perth and drew a 100km radius around Perth. They then drove along that circle until they found a place, far from suburbia but within an easy drive to city life, and ended up in Toodyay. They haven't looked back since.

Why were we there you may ask?
 
Dance night was in the original memorial hall, and I'd say the crowd wasn't much younger.


Some of you may know I like to dance. AND I like to country line dance. AND I've been on the hunt to find a place in Perth to line dance. We might have had to travel a bit and bring the average age of the crowd down by about 40 years, but I found it! Even if you can't see them, there is a group of about 10 65+ maybe even 70+ boot scootin' line dancing.

It was quite the boot tappin', guitar strummi' Small Town Saturday Night...

No comments:

Post a Comment