Sunday, November 30, 2014

My One Complaint (so far)

Dear City of Perth,

After living in Perth for 14 months, I have one complaint. I thank you for the investment you have put into superb cycle paths. As a recent transplant from an un-bicycling friendly city, I find the high quality of separate, paved cycle paths to be a welcome change.

As a resident of the CBD and an employee of Curtin, the cycle paths around the Swan River make it an easy and enjoyable cycling commute. However, as I cannot ride on water, I must ride over one of the bridges.
 
And you seem proud of your bridges as evidenced by the plaques.
The Narrows and Causeway Bridges, are in general, deplorable for pedestrians. Particularly the Causeway Bridge. The path is too narrow, with a single railing guarding against the city traffic and a tall cement barrier all too close for brushing elbows with. With gusty afternoon sea breezes and hungry, tired cyclists racing home after work (or maybe just me), it's surprising that I haven't mowed down a pedestrian with my bike.
 And while all the other cycle paths are neatly paved, the bridge is made up of uneven cement tiles that lead to my irrational fear of getting a tire stuck in the rut. Recently, you've even tried to advise cyclists of the uneven surface. And the poor roller bladers might as well take off their skates and walk across.

The eastern side of the Narrows isn't much better.

You clearly know how to build proper pedestrian cycle paths on bridges, as the western side of the Narrows and the Windham Bridges are ideal. Which I would ride over if they happened to lead where I needed to go.

Unfortunately, it is the Causeway Bridge that I, and many others, ride over twice daily.

Please smooth out the connections between north and south. Other than that, great city!

A concerned resident,
Uneasy Rider


No comments:

Post a Comment