Sunday, November 23, 2014

Something more boring than baseball

Who knew that there was a sport more slow paced than America's pastime?

Well there is and it's cricket.

This weekend I have the privilege of going to the cricket. Yes, it's "the" cricket. Crazy Australians and their need to use articles for sporting games.

I walk or ride by the WACA (cricket ground) every day but have thus far not been inside.

Now I have tried to be culturally competent and accepting and have tried to watch a few cricket matches on TV. But I just couldn't figure it out on my own despite our modified soccer cricket played at soccer camp.

What did I learn? First of all, there are different kinds of cricket matches. Tests, one day interantional (which is what I went to), and 20/20. Test matches can last 5 days! One day internationals do have a break for lunch. Yes, that is correct. And 20/20 is supposed to be the high paced fast action version of cricket. The verdict is still out on that one. I shall report when I witness that in person.


Australia vs. South Africa. Some international, commonwealth rivalry. Seemed like a big deal to me.

I could attempt to explain the rules to you. But I would probably leave you more confused than when you started. Instead, I will summarize the key points I learned.


1. To get a "home run" the ball just has to roll over the boundary (which is possible without even hitting it if it sompletely misses the batter and "catcher". That is 4 runs.
2. A "wicket" is equivalent to an out, even if it doesn't actually hit the wicket the three pronged structure thing.
3. Not too much happens. Enough not-much-happens happens that players in the outfield can sign autographs between bowls.


The problem with cricket is that it's played in the summer, matches can last all day, and the cheap seats have no shade. That leads to some intense attempts at sun protection and an entertaining display of hats.




In general, the crowds try to keep it as interesting as possible, cheering at each bowl, chanting, and even trying the wave. They even brought out free popsicles. It's a nice outing, regardless of what's happening on the field. But if you're bored, no worries, cricket on a nice day is just an excuse to lay down and sun bathe in public.

Is it AFL footy season yet?

1 comment:

  1. Gee, and here I thought la crosse was the most boring field game!

    ReplyDelete