Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Flavors of WA

March 1st.
The first day of autumn.
What a better way to celebrate than a day at the beach.

And what better way to end a perfect "summer" day than with some delicious flavored milk. Yes, milk. Australians, particularly Western Australians love their flavored milk. But then again, my Grandma Droz always said there was nothing like a cold glass of milk to cool you down on a hot day. I perfer some icy lemonade and ice cream, but that's just my opinion.

I started this blog a year ago, when Browne's Dairy had a Flavors of WA campaign. Where their flavors were given local character like Quokka Chocolate and the Freo Doctor.


 Their new campaign is that's so WA. Check it out. Yes, I've had flavored milk before. Chocolate milk was a favorite at Ledyard Center School, strawberry milk was a regular in the elementary schools in South Carolina, and YooHoo's decorate the shelves. But those are nothing compared to the cartons consumed by Western Australians. So it's about time I put those flavors of WA head to head.
 
 

In the interest of my stomach, I left out the chocolate flavors. I've had plenty of chocolate milk in my dairy career. And I've tried the Chocmint, and it wasn't anything too special. Here were the contenders.

Strawberry

Banana

Caramel

Spearmint

Iced Coffee

Percolated Coffee (because that's different than iced coffee flavored milk...?)

Turns out there is a difference between iced coffee and percolated coffee milk. Iced coffee wins hands down. But these weren't the only coffee flavors. There's espresso, mocha, and double espresso.
 

I'm still not sure what to make of the spearmint, despite it being recommended by Kyla, my true blue Perthite. I expect a thick, mint milkshake, but it's much milder and not so sweet.





 As most artificially flavored things, I could pass on the banana.

Caramel and strawberry were sweet and delicious as expected.

I'm looking forward to flavoring my Weetbix this week with leftover milk. And maybe on the next 40 degree day (that's Celsius), I may join the Chill milk bandwagon...

Happy Autumn!





2 comments:

  1. Did you forget the Rhode Island state drink is Coffee Milk? Now I have some more things to add to my Australian 'must-try' list ( meat pie, billy tea, balmain bug, Quandong, ANZAK biscuit, pavlova, damper, barramundi, kangaroo, abalone.....); it's getting pretty long. But I know I don't want to retry the vegemite, the Aussies can keep that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your list has gotten longer! Don't forget the quintessential sausage sizzle, Carlton Draught, caramel slice, and TimTams! And I've learned a trick with Vegemite, I'll have to share :).

      Delete