Friday, September 20, 2013

Curtin Commute by Camera

I survived my first week at work, which also meant my first week of my commute from Scarborough to Curtin University.



Perhaps one of the few downsides to house sitting in Scarborough is having to get to the other side of the city, without the use of a car. Crossing the river is a big deal 'round here. North of the River or South of the River are distinct worlds and crossing into the other is an adventurous affair for the locals. Bus to the train- train to the city-train to the other side of the city-bus to Curtin. Thankfully Transperth's SmartRider card makes it nice and simple, if not long, to get around the city, and the bus stop is right on my street.

One of my new job tasks is to figure out how to use some new technology to help measure physical activity. One of these is Vicon's SenseWear camera, a small camera you wear around your neck and takes pictures abot every 30 seconds, or when there is movement or a change in light/temperature. It's got three blinking lights that I'm still trying to figure out, but I've been the cool kid wearing it around town.

Coincidentally, it was the perfect tool (and time stamped too!) to document my daily commute.

7:39- Leave my house to a sunny and rainy Scarborough day.

 7:43- Walk to the bus stop on Scarborough Beach Rd (I've been instructed to pronounce if (Scarbrah)

7:55-Stare out the window on the 410 Bus at the sun peaking out from the clouds 


8:04-Hop on the train to Perth
 
8:21-Stare at excited and cheery people going to work, going to school, and going who know's where (but I spend the trip guessing!)

8:26- The train comes out from underground on the other side of the city, crossing the Swan river

8:31-Catch another bus, this time with all the undergrads and the odd crazy professor grading papers

8:50-Arrive at campus (those blue skies are deceiving, it was a mostly rainy day)

8:55-Make it to my building #408

9:00 (on the dot!)-Sign in and a Friday welcome to work

I must say, the connections made today on the longer side, and Friday was a bit less crowded than the rest of the week. I'm sure I wouldn't want to make this commute forever, but for now, it gives me plenty of time to look, see, and listen to the people of my new Perth-fect city.






No comments:

Post a Comment