Monday, September 16, 2013

Sunday Sunny Scarborough


The Rendezvous Grand Hotel is a landmark to spot on Perth's coast. Built in the 1980's to watch Australia take home America's Cup for the first time.

And it's the same hotel I can see form my bedroom window.

Yesterday, the wind and rain sounded as if I was in that tornado from Oz. When one's primary transport is by foot, apocolyptic-like weather puts a damper on adventure explorations. But today the sun came out in Scarborough, and with it, locals and travelers were brought out from hiding.

I wasn't quite ready to brave ordering a coffee, so I had a tea at BOHO Espresso, 50 meters from the center of Scarborough beach. I walked across the bike/ped path that was empty yesterday (and I almost was blown over on), and had to dodge walkers, runners, cyclists and a kid on a scooter. People were in the parks, sand, and ocean. The wind had kite surfers flying across the water. And the surf was speckled with black spots which upon closer inspection turned into wetsuit clad surfers.

There were plenty of signs of danger, putting me off of learning to surf quite yet. Plus, I found it to be a little cold.




But if the surfers could brave the water, so could I, and I wandered down the beach to get the first touch of the Indian Ocean! It surprisingly wasn't that cold. And I was not quick enough to move as the tide was moving in, so my pants may or may not have gotten a little seawater on them to take home.


PS. Some of the dunes had all these little green bags as part of the dune restoration.



No comments:

Post a Comment