Sunday, September 29, 2013

Eggs on the Shelf

Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
-Fran Lebowitz


I love grocery shopping. Grocery shopping in a different country amps up the experience by 10. There is no way to share all the interesting ponderings of a trip to Coles, Wooly's (Woolworths) or IGA supermarkets. I am sure there will be additional grocery posts as I go along, so this is only a start. But for now, bon appetit!

1. This was the first thing I saw when I walked in, Vegemite! (no I didn't buy any)

2. Getting used to kilograms

I dont want to give you the impression that everything is super expensive. These are expensive bananas. I have found them cheaper. A fennel bulb is only $1, and celery is still about $1.50.

3. Biscuits=cookies! And these are some things you wouldn't expect to be in the same aisle...
 

4. Eggs just chilling (rather NOT chilling) on the shelf. Not to be confused with Elf on the Shelf.
(Takes me back to freshman year, doesn't it Elise?)


5. I've tried them, and yes, TimTams are delicious. They are a lot like Penguin Bars (Larisa!) from Ireland.

6. Milk-on-a-shelf. There is a whole shelf of ultra-high-temperature milk. They have regular milk too, but this is cheaper. I've tried it in cereal and coffee and I can't tell the difference.

7. The most popular cereal is not cheerios. I'm on my second box. Also, Raisin Bran is "Sultana Bran"

 8. My new found favorite replacement for toast, Crumpets! They're soft, airy, doughy, and delicious.

1 comment:

  1. We had UHT on the ship too. I, however, could taste the difference.

    ReplyDelete