Thursday, October 3, 2013

Searching the Suburbs

Over the past three weeks I have been throughout the inner metro area of Perth. My house sitting is up in about two weeks, so it's time to find my new residence. Looking for a furnished studio or one bedroom convenient to Curtin and the city (and safe Mom!)  means I'm going to have to be willing to cough up the rent; everywhere is pricey. I consider it investment in my social well-being.  There are lots of options to explore, all with their own character, problems, and perks. Kyla and Leon have been kind enough to offer their local advice and point out homes to ferals, bogans, and brothels.

The suburbs of Perth



Without any biases and in no particular order, here are some of the centrally located suburbs. I could deal with living in any of these.

Subiaco, also known as Subi (because it's too hard to say). Home of Patterson's Stadium (where the AFL Dockers and Eagles play). It's got a cute main street and a market. I ride through it on my extra long bike to work, winding over the stone side walks and through the well-groomed parks. But there aren't actually very many places available.

East Perth. On the business side of the city, it can quiet down on the nights and weekends, but it's attached to the CBD and along the river.
 
West Perth. Where I stayed for my first week in the city. West Perth is home to Kings Park and lots businesses.

South Perth. The South Perth Esplanade is an outdoor fitness aficionados dream. A beautiful view of the city across the river, a ferry straight across to the CBD, home to the Perth zoo, and it's own cafe strip.
Leederville. Trendy, happening, and where everyone gets of the train in the morning.


Cockburn. Despite my Gamecock pride and desire for it to be pronounced as it is spelled, every morning my train to Cockburn Station reminds me it is Co-burn.

Plus there's lots of funny names which would be fun to live in just to say them as my address: Coogee, Coolbellup, Cooloongup, Wooroloo, Banjup.

Now the tricky part is attending the open inspections and fighting off the other apartment seeker. I can't wait until I'm baking cookies in my home sweet home.


No comments:

Post a Comment