Sunday, October 20, 2013

Perks of Perth

It only took me 6 weeks, but I did it. I ordered my first Australian coffee. As I was warned, coffee in Australia is not the same as coffee in America. I can't just walk into a store and order a "coffee". They have choices. Espresso based choices. Already overwhelmed with using cash (colorful bills and coins with sizes that aren't logical, the 50 cent is the biggest), I wasn't ready to face the coffee culture alone. Thankfully Kyla was willing to accompany me.

Where every corner seems to have a little coffee shop, there are places not to go. The equivalent of Starbucks is Dome, and like Starbucks, there are the strongly devoted who drink nothing else. Conveniently, their menu has a list of the common coffees.

 
Then there's Muzz Buzz, which as a mini coffee drive thru in purple looks cool to me! I was warned not to try it, and thankfully I have no car to drive through.

We had to venture off campus to Hoopla Espresso. To make things easier, I got the same thing as Kyla, a cappuccino (because it has chocolate sprinkles on top). We got a Snickers Slice to share (slices are another thing, which are basically a bar tpye of layered cookie in all different flavors).
 And this is what I see people drinking all around Perth. My first picture wasn't good enough because the flower was upside down.

If you're not in a cafe, everyone drinks instant coffee. Seriously. That's what fills the shelves.
Since my budget can't stand purchasing a flowery cappucino every morning, I found my own little cheap, basic coffee pot tucked away between all the fancy espresso machines. Now I can happily sip my own brew every morning.
Now I just have to visit every coffee shop in Perth to find where it's worth splurging on a frothy cup complete with chocolate sprinkles.


No comments:

Post a Comment