Thursday, October 31, 2013

The American Halloween Invasion

 H. A. double L. O. W. double E. N spells Halloween!

I've been asked about Halloween in America. People have seen everything in moves and on television from kids trick-or-treating to wild college parties with girls in itty bitty costumes. I've told tales of my childhood costumes of a can of Coke and box of popcorn to my college roommate's sexy lady bug. Halloween's kind of a big deal.

Apparently it is not as big a deal in Australia. I've been a Halloween detective over the past few weeks, and I've found evidence to show that American Halloween has definitely creeped into the land of Oz (though it has a long way to go).

Remember how Australians love pumpkins?! Well they don't go crazy about Halloween jack-o-lanterns. It's a very limited selection.

I've heard three things about trick-or-treating from an Australian perspective.

1. Some neighborhoods do it. There's enough people here from America who have visited and liked the tradition so they've tried to do it here. It's fun.

2. Ugh. That's so American. (said with a 'we boycott anything American' type of connotation). In addition, there was an article in the newspaper how American is poisoning Australian children with its highly processed sugary and fatty treats for Halloween.

3. Australian doesn't do Halloween very well. They just don't understand it. (what's there to understand about costumes and candy?)

Anyone who has visited my apartment in MD or SC knows I like to decorate, at least enough to remind me that it's a holiday. I used to have these cute little pumpkin lights. Since at some point I will have to pack my things back into three bags, I just wanted a little something for the apartment. At the first shop, this is what I found.

 Without a big focus on Halloween and no Thanksgiving, most stores have already jumped straight to Christmas. After a little more exploring, I've found whole sections in stores even with costumes.

Australians apparently do costumes very well, so it's surprising they don't go 100% into another excuse to dress up. Oktoberfest had hundreds parading the streets in lederhosen. The Rotary Club had a big scavenger hunt around Perth two weeks ago, and teams of four were decked out as superheroes, Where's Waldo, and any costume you could imagine. Those costumes were ten times better than ones I've seen in College Park or Columbia. I've even heard tales of a guy dressed as a Christmas tree, with his friends as presents, and one as a star who he put on his shoulders. For a Christmas quiz night party. And someone else was talking about their office's Christmas party.

Today I went on Halloween recon. A few places on campus got into the spirit. And Ashely brought in candy corn sent especially from America. The Australians had never had it before and couldn't even think of something to compare it to.

On my ride home all I saw was one little party of children and parents dressed in costumes picnicking on the river in South Perth. Holding out hope that it was still too early for trick-or-treating, I wandered around the city after dinner. I figured if I hung around the  busy train station long enough, I would see at least one costume. Nope. There has been a festival all week in Northbridge, but no one I know has heard of it.

All I've ended up with for my Halloween celebration is a little pumpkin bucket (now empty of candy, where did it all go?!) and a beautiful card from a beautiful friend. But that's quite enough for me!
May your Halloween be full of ghost, ghouls, and more treats than tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment