Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Involuntary Revhead

One benefit of living in the city is that I get to know about all the events going on, whether I like it or not. I woke up on a normal quiet Sunday morning (there's less buses and traffic and stores don't open until 11) and I heard a very loud car engine growling. Some macho man showing off. Then another, and another. This was no ordinary show of testosterone.

I wandered around the corner to Langley Park and Riverside Drive. And what did I find?! It was a car show. Apparently the Targa West event has brought cars gathering all around the city, shutting down the streets, and revving their engines. Today was the historic sprint down Riverside Drive.




There were the traditional Rally Cars...

Your classic Jaguar...

The iconic Cadillac...

The manly Ford Mustangs...

And then a whole gaggle of Mazda Miata's, or at least what I thought were Miatas (they may be one of the few cars I can recognize). Apparently here they're called MX-5's or just plain Mazdas (rhymes with Taz not oz) or something like that. I'm sticking with Miata

But then there were the classic Australia Holdens (which are now actually owned by GM)...


Holden Commodores (which are going to be discontinued if they haven't been)

And Holden Toranas

But this wasn't just a look and see kinda car show. They put the pedal to the metal with cars racing every minute from 10 am to 1:30 pm.

On your mark, get set, go!


Some were more style than speed.

And some were fast!

It was a long way from Cruise Night at Ocean Beach and $2 Mini Golf, but wherever you go there are men (and some women) showing off their shiny metal cars. And while I'm no revhead (or Petrolhead in Aussie) some of them are pretty neat.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Mr. E will ship one of his cars down and you could help him enter next year! Don't think they need another MX5 Miata.

    ReplyDelete