Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mind the Gap

You may have come across this news story in the past week. Did you realize it happened in Perth? You know, the Australian city I've been living in the past 11 months?
If you missed it, here's a summary.

Man gets leg stuck in the gap between the train and the platform.
 How did his leg get all the way down in that little gap?

Passengers push the train for him to escape.

With all the tragedy and hate in the news recently, it's nice to see a story where strangers are helping their fellow man.

It also got me thinking, as Stirling station (where it happened), was my first destination to attempt navigating the trains in Perth. Equipped with my Smartrider (not a SmartTrip as I sometimes call it), I headed out into the windy, cold, rainy dusk. And I made it safefly to my final destination.
And in Stirling, there was a helpful little reminder.
 This is the train coming in to Stirling. Do you even see a gap to mind?

So it got me to thinking about the train stations in Perth. As a consumer of public transport, I frequent the rail system quite often. From the Justin Bieber fans with their mom to the footy fan filled sardine cans, to the drunken, barefoot man with his bike, I've see Perth's best on the trains. 

Out of approximately 69 stations on the Transperth train network, I've been to 25 of them. And that doesn't count the ones I've ridden by on my numerous bike rides, or that I tried to go to. Like the time Kyla was dropping me off at Cockburn (pronounced Co-burn, not Cock-burn fellow Gamecocks) but we couldn't find the entrance. Or the time I was supposed to meet Ashley at Burswood, and I thought I was supposed to be there an hour later (hence missed the train) and ran to catch what I hoped was the correct bus, only to find out she had accidentally taken the express station that didn't stop at Burswood.

If you come to Perth and have any fear of getting on the leg eating train, have no fear. Here's a sampling of some.

There are five lines, with Perth Station and Perth Underground (they're basically one connected station as the cental hub.

Perth Station

Perth Underground
 What gap?
Leederville
Home of trendy bars, and closest stop for all the men in suits going to work in West Perth.

City West
 Normally I cycle/walk past here, but I stopped on the train here to get my Western Australian driver's license (no test required!) on the way to Fremantle for an afternoon adventure.

West Leederville
Destination for all footy Eagles and Dockers headed to Patterson's Stadium.

Subiaco
Come to think of it, I only went in this station once, because on the return journey, it was closed for maintenance and we ended up walking back to the city.

Claremont Showgrounds
Only open for events, which basically means once a year for the Perth Show. Fairy floss anyone?

Cottesloe
Next stop, the beach!
 
McIver
 The closest station to me, and the only place I know where the "shortcut" pathway goes through Royal Perth hospital.

East Guildford
 A little country town not far from the city.

Midland
Final destination on the line.

Will I get to each stop by the end of my time here? Maybe I will, maybe I won't, but whichever stop I'm at, I'll be sure to mind the gap.

And if you're up for a trip with a few more kilometers, hop on the Indian Pacific
Final Destination Sydney.














No comments:

Post a Comment