Monday, August 25, 2014

Snip, Snip

Even mundane things can turn into adventures...

I can't say I've ever enjoyed going to the hairdresser. To me, it's on the same level as going to the doctor for a checkup or the dentist for a cleaning. It's something you have to do, is a little painful, requires awkward conversation, and happens once a year (twice if you're diligent). Thanks to having long hair for the majority of my teenage and adult life, getting a haircut once or twice a year is passable without looking like a homeless person or free spirit attempting dreadlocks. Besides, my hair spends the majority of it's time in a ponytail.

Oh look ponytails! How new and different!

 Growing up, I can only remember ever having two hairdressers: Dotti and Helen. And our whole family went to them. Helen probably knows more about me than some of my friends with regular updates from my mom. No frills, she does what I want and knows I don't need the gossip talk to keep me entertained.

But for several years, Connecticut has been an awful long way to go for a haircut. During college at Maryland, I got a hair cut once or twice a year when I was home for the holidays. Now, just like doctors and dentists, I have since chosen my hairdressers out of convenience and cost-effectiveness.

I'm so ambivalent about hairdressers, I even had no hesitation when my friends decided to not only cut but HIGHLIGHT my hair one long weekend. Because hey, how can you mess up a trim? And I could always get it fixed... (mind you that is the ONLY time to this day I've had my hair colored).

When my first year in South Carolina was up, I went to a "real" hair salon. I think I got a coupon thrown at me with some beads at the St. Patrick's Day parade. It was quite the overwhelming experience and the $50 bill seemed ridiculous to "I just need a simple trim" me. Plus, with my low maintenance approach to hair styling, I always feel like I'm being judged by the red-haired, mohawked stylist. Then I found Kenneth Schuler. It's a cosmetology school, and for $10, I could get a shampoo, cut, and blow dry. It was fantastic! No appointment necessary and the students were getting graded by their supervisors so were very cautious to detail. Sure it tool a little longer, but I could relax and know if I wanted two inches off, they would get the ruler out. Until that one time I got too relaxed. And with a little miscommunication, I ended up traumatized when my long hair became less than shoulder length. So since, then I've been a bit cautious.

 That's when this accidentally happened.

But my year of carefree hair maintenance is almost up. Which meant that it's time to not only find a new hairdresser. But find a new hairdresser in AUSTRALIA. What if they cut upside down? Do I have to tell them how many centimeters I want off instead of inches?

I started doing my research months ago. There seem to be barbershops and salons on every block in the CBD for consideration. Sometimes two. Australians do love their blondes (even if it's from a bottle).
  Men only. (So much easier to be a dude!)



Checking out prices in shop windows, I figured that if I went to any traditional salon, it'd set me back about $100. Extra if I wanted it styled/blow dried. It took me weeks to mentally prepare for that, but I've been in Perth for almost a year and the sticker shock is starting to lose it's razor edge, though still a blunt, painful edge.

Doing some "late night" grocery shopping, I walked by Salon Express above my local Wooly's. It was still open at 7 pm (A good sign!) and no appointments necessary. We had a winner.


One of the marketing tools for Salon Express is that they price everything up front, so there's no shock when you go to pay. And they price EVERYTHING.

They advertise for a Ladies Basic cut for $19.50.
  • But since I haven't had regular maintenance on my very fancy "style", it was considered a "Restyle"- $35
  • I had just been to the gym, and plus the only good part about getting a haircut is having someone else wash your hair, so I got shampoo-$10 (but it was WORTH it with a massaging chair and extra scalp massage).
  • Since I was going to the highlight party of the year that evening, I figured I'd splurge for a blow-dry. Now a normal "short" blow dry is $20. A long blow dry is $32.50 (50 cents, really?). And apparently my hair is "extra long" despite having several centimeters chopped off.-$42.
Bringing the grand total to $87.50. Still under the $100 mark and without the added stress of calling to make an appointment (I hate the phone. Seriously, ask my mom). And my hair dresser, Emma, provided magazines, attempted to make small talk to see if I would bite, but mostly left me alone as she knows she'll probably never see me again (though she did ask, it's been awhile since you've had it trimmed hasn't it? I don't need your judgement!)

 Not very good Before & After pics. But it didn't get accidentally chopped off!

I will admit it. My healthy, shiny, soft, nice smelling hair was worth it. Maybe it won't be another year until I go back. But first I have to figure out the dentist...



1 comment:

  1. And I thought $18 for a haircut is getting too much- but then again, I've got a lot less to cut!

    ReplyDelete